Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Do's and Don'ts for New Mothers and Mothers to Be



Do:

  •  Do Stock up on diapers, formula, and wipes. My rule of thumb (always have two extra). Two extra boxes of diapers, Wipes, Formula (so and so forth).
  • Do buy at least one can of formula....even if you plan to breastfeed. Just in case.
  • Do listen to the advice you get from other mothers....but...implement what works best for you.
  • Do take the help you are offered. If someone asks to help you, accept and thank them. Take the time to rest and relax...You've earned it.
  • Do understand that our plans do not always work out. I had a birth plan written out with several copies to hand to the doctors and nurses. I even had a Douala to make sure my wishes were expressed. But not everything on my birth plan happened and that is ok.
  • Do bring size newborn and 0-3 in your labor and delivery bag.  My peanut was 5 pounds when she was born much too small for her fabulous 0-3 outfit.
Don't:

  • Don't worry the baby will not break! Be gentle they are fragile but trust me the baby will not break.
  • Don't buy too many clothes...I know despite the urge to shop (and believe me honey I have it)...Wait it out until after your baby shower. All your friends want to buy cute little mini clothing and trust me they will. 
  • Don't worry about your crying baby in public. They were all there once whether they remember or not. Baby's cry that's what they do...assess the situation and do not panic. 
  • Don't miss the signs of postpartum depression. It is very real and nothing to be ashamed of. 
  • Don't feel bad if you don't get the mothering instinct instantly. It was not instantaneous for me but rather gradual. 
Reference: 

Experience....Trial and Error :)

No comments:

Post a Comment